This project is read-only.

How to deal with unknown publisher issue

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM
I've tested the addinmon.exe and it works well. My problem is the Unknown Publisher issue. On Windows 7, how do you get around having to have users allow addinmon.exe to run the first time. I want zero user interaction necessary when deploying this to all end users.
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM
It could be that the .exe is marked as coming from the Internet. Just right click the addinmon.exe select Properties and make sure to choose "unblock" to allow it to run without the warning.
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM
I verified that works for one user, but do you know of a way to perform that using group policy. All I'm finding are great ways to make my system insecure.
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Just put the "unblocked" exe on a trusted file server and copy it to the users desktop on login. In that scenario you shouldn't require to unblock on each desktop.
Mar 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Tried that. AddInMon.exe won't properly run when the "unblocked" version is used to copy to other computers. It starts and stops almost immediately. The settings have to be stored on each individual machine for each user in the registry, but scouring the Internet, I cannot find a solution.
Mar 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Found my fix. Tried two different things and the combination appears to have worked. I created a new compressed file using 7Zip from the original extracted ZIP files of addinmon and then extracted the files to a new folder. Files were no longer showing security threat, but when I processed my group policy, Open File Security window reappeared. We use roaming profiles, so the %appdata% variable puts the addinmon.exe file in the roaming profile section. I used %localappdata% instead in my group policy object and that allowed the file to remain unblocked. Verified working. Thanks for creating this wonderful little program.